Monday, December 31, 2012

An Introvert's New Years Eve


Twas the night before New Years, and I sat on my couch.
The day was quite festive, but I felt like a grouch.
In front of me lay invitations quite smartly
For New Year’s Eve outings and plans and parties.

I stared at them carefully and tried to decide
Which to attend, but I gave up and sighed.
I pictured a party all loud and too bright
And wished I could just stay in for the night.

Like many I loved spending time with my friends
But I love it much more when the night finally ends.
I wished I could just stay home and read books
But whenever I say this I get lots of strange looks

“But why?” ask my friends, “would you rather stay in?”
“We’ll have so much fun and there’s going to be gin!”
“You can’t sit alone with only sweatpants to wear.
You have to come out.  You’ll thank us, we swear.”

I wish that my friends could begin to understand
That what’s fun for them, leaves me quite drained.
And after awhile, I just want to escape.
It’s nobody’s fault; it’s just how I’m made.

So this New Year’s Eve, I’ll stick to my guns
And spend the night doing what I think is fun.
At home with my books I can say without a doubt,
“Happy New Years to all!  I’ll sit this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment